Monday, December 7, 2009

Sauerkraut


I combined a recipe from Coconut & Lime with my mom's "recipe" (it's in her head) that she makes every year. I personally preferred the twist to the traditional version, and I think everyone liked it, even the traditionalists.

Ingredients:
28 oz sauerkraut [I think I used ~30oz Klausen's jar?]
1 thick cut boneless pork chop (about 1/4 lb)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar + 1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tsp yellow mustard seed
1 1/2 tsp caraway seed
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon dill weed
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 large shallot, diced

Directions:
Place the sauerkraut, shallot, horseradish, sugar, vinegar and spices in a 2 or 4 quart slow cooker. Stir to evenly distribute all ingredients. Add the pork chop and cover in sauerkraut. Cook on low 8 hours or 4 hours on high. The pork should be easily shredded with a fork. Shred the meat and stir. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment