This recipe is a classic first introduced to me by my best friend's mom many, many years ago (Thanks Court and Ms. Jan!)
Regardless of its simplicity it remains an addictive treat that is begged for by many every year at Christmas...
saltine crackers (1.5-2 sleeves)
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
18oz (1.5 packages) semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Line jelly roll pan (or large cookie sheet with side walls) with heavy duty aluminum foil.
3. Place layer of of saltine crackers evenly on foil.
4. In small-medium saucepan, melt sugar and butter until bubbly, stirring constantly.
5. Remove from heat and quickly stir in vanilla
6. Quickly pour over crackers, smoothly and evenly.
7. Bake immediate for ~6-7min
8. Remove from oven, pour chocolate chips evenly over butter layer
9. Bake on top rack for another 2 minutes.
10. Spread chocolate over butter and crackers, smoothing with a spatula.
11. Freeze overnight, peel off aluminum foil backing, and break into pieces.
12. Keep frozen or refrigerated.