Thursday, May 13, 2010

Chimichurri Sauce


I made this chimichurri sauce to coat our freezer-burned Omaha Steaks still hanging around from Christmas. The original recipe calls for hangar steak, and I'm sure that would work even better. I made some modifications to up the heat-content, and for once was pretty happy with how this sauce turned out. When I've tried chimichurri at home before it has always been too lime- or cilantro- heavy. This was mild in terms of flavor but packed enough of a hot/spice kick to make us happy.

1 cup packed flat-leaf parsley
1 jalapeño, seeded (I left a few seeds...)
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons minced mint leaves (I actually just used dried)
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
Salt and pepper, to taste
Cayenne, to taste
3 tablespoons panko (I used extra)

Mince parsley, jalapeño and garlic (I threw it in the food processor for just a few seconds) and mix in a bowl with mint, oil and vinegar. Season with chili flakes, salt, pepper and cayenne until it has a kick. You can reserve part of the sauce at this point if you want some panko-free for marinating, or you can just add it all in.
Stuff or baste your meat with the sauce as desired (recommend 3+ hours marinating)

No comments:

Post a Comment